So I did have my 38 week appointment today...yes, it was just last Thursday I had my 37 week appt, but sometimes that's just how these appointments work out with scheduling. So, I've gone from a "finger tip" of dilation (which amounted to .5 cm) to 1cm. She "stretched" my cervix for me & officially called me 2cm. She did sweep the membranes as well (click the link to learn more if you aren't in the know). I anticipate this will mean what it did last time...which was that my mucus plug came out, but it did nothing to actually induce labor. We'll see...
She didn't quite agree with the midwife on the station that I was at last week...she thinks its more like -1 (so the baby is actually higher than the midwife thought), but the head is still low, so that's good! See the chart from my last post to see what I'm talking about on the stations if you're sitting her scratching your head. The problem is more about where my cervix is (relative to the baby's head). It is WAY back...like in China town. The cervix needs to move down...more like back to the United States to be "ready". Essentially, the baby's head sits much further south than my cervix does, which means baby's head isn't pressing on the cervix to efface or dilate it. That being said, she did say my cervix was soft (which is unchanged from last week) & about 50% effaced. So we are making forward progress here, but still...2.0 doesn't show any signs of coming early (darn it). The other small issue is that baby has moved from having her spine sitting on my left side to going "sunny side up". You can click the link to read more on that...which would (if she doesn't move herself), could pose to make labor more difficult. However, my OB did say that a lot of times they won't move into an anterior position until labor has initiated...so there's hope!
![]() |
| This is posterior or "sunny side up" position. |
![]() |
| The anterior presentation we want during labor |


oh how you have my sympathy. I often wonder why I went through that 4 times. Babies come when they want to unless modern medicine nudges them. So if your patience can hold, hang in there. You are doing everything right! Hope to see you Saturday but will be happy if you are otherwise occupied!!!!
ReplyDelete