Tuesday, April 24, 2012

This is it...

Well, no turning back now. At 39 weeks and 1.9 days my amniotic fluid began leaking. At 2:30am I felt a small rush of fluid...not being totally sure what was, I got up. Then laid back down & instantly felt more fluid come out. I figured it was time to wake Tom up & give him the heads up. With only 15% of women having their water break spontaneously, I'd written myself off from being one of them. Not so much. Of course, in my mind I was also sure I'd be late & be another May mom....also, not so much. After your water breaks, your committed to having the baby...and likely within 24 hours. So, this is really it. I was about 99% sure it was my water when I called the OB at 2:45am & 100% sure before they ever told me in the hospital that it was my water. It was leaking all over the floor...I came in alone (who does this?), I felt bad hauling my Dad out of bed at such a horrid hour & thought Tom should try to catch a few more winks of sleep. After all, what's Tom going to do? Sit on a couch & watch me? (Pause for contraction). I doubt Tom is actually sleeping, but one of us might as well be getting a little rest, right? Too bad its not the one having the baby! So as of now, things are going well...my contractions started within 30 minutes of my water breaking & they have certainly gained momentum. Goodbye to the belly-hardening-but-no-pain Braxton Hicks I'd grown accostomed to having. These things hurt, but they are managable - so far. I've texted with my doula who will come join me whenever I think I need her. Right now...I'm obviously blogging, so I think I can survive without her & Tom by my side. The irony in going into labor in the middle of the night is that just yesterday I told my Dad he had to come over to go over Shannon's schedule "just in case". Good thing. 12 hours after my Dad was at the house to go over the routine my water broke. I"m not sure how many more blog posts will get put up here before the contractions become a bit more overwhelming & I don't feel like typing. I'll make TOm post a few updates on my Facebook account though if I don't feel like it though!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Christie!!! Hope it's smooth sailing. <3

    Anne Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are a trooper! Nice work! I'm so glad everything worked out for you and your family the way you had hoped!

    ReplyDelete