I've made it to the "T-minus 2 month" mark. I had my OB appointment yesterday. Everything looks good, weight gain is good (though it scares the crap out of me every time I get on that scale...those numbers never look "good"). I've gained 24 lbs already...yikes. I know its healthy weight gain, but knowing that toward the end I'll be gaining like a pound a week, its a frightening thought with 8 weeks to go!
Aside from the "healthy" weight gain, baby continues to grow well. I'm technically measuring a week smaller than my 32 weeks, but my OB says I was at 29 weeks when I was 30 weeks pregnant, so Malchow 2.0 is growing accordingly - hence no worries.
We did discuss the whole VBAC v repeat C/S again - and this time my OB scheduled the "back-up" c/s. That makes this all seem so real (and really close!). The c/s is now scheduled for May 8th (sorry Mom, she doesn't work on Monday the 7th). I'm REALLY, REALLY hoping to go into labor on my ownthis time around. I was a little freaked out last night talking to Tom about the VBAC; my OB gave me a consent form to sign to do the VBAC & its a little scary...its all scary - VBAC or C/S. I am just trying to make the most medically sound decision (safest for myself & 2.0), which my OB tells me is the VBAC. This uterine rupture thing is what scares the dickens out of me. The risks for it are low, but still present (less than a 1% chance). The implications of uterine rupture could be death - for myself or the baby. That's a lot to digest & then process as a decision as a parent of one already amazing little girl & amazing husband. The thought of not being around for either of them is terrifying (and led me to tears last night...not to mention a very late bed time as I lay there & ponder my choices).
What makes the risk seem less so, is the MAYO Clinic website on VBAC. They say the chances of catastrophic endings to a uterine rupture are much lower in a hospital set up to deal with a truly emergent c/s (which Swedish Issaquah is). They have a stand-by team there for every VBAC attempt.
I'm really vying for Tom to accompany me to my next OB appointment (in 2 weeks) to have this discussion with myself & my OB. He hasn't been at an appointment since our 20 week ultrasound. I just think this decision is best made as a team rather than resting solely upon my shoulders....but alas his work will dictate if he can come or not.
Either way - keep us in your thoughts & prayers that whatever decision we make will be the best for the baby & myself. Thanks friends & family!
No comments:
Post a Comment