Technically I am 34 weeks & 2 days pregnant today (but who's counting?). I had my 34-week appointment today. Everything seems to be going well, though I am measuring a tad bit small (but only by a week). So for those of you not in the know, they measure this via your "fundal height" which is the centimeters between your pubic bone & the fundus (or top) of the uterus. 34 cm is supposed to be equal to 34 weeks. At 30 weeks, I measured 29cm, At 32 weeks, I measured 31cm. And today...yes, I measured 33cm (or what translates into 33 weeks). My OB doesn't see any reason to think this is an issue (afterall, the baby is growing as I get further into the pregnancy, and at an equal rate). But, because of my "advanced maternal age" (aka I'm a geriatric pregnant woman!), she's ordered an ultrasound just to take a peek inside to see what 2.0 is doing. She said that a small measurement can be anything from low amniotic fluid levels to a baby just a tad smaller. We'll find out what's bakin' in the Malchow oven Thursday afternoon when I go in for a subsequent ultra sound. I'll also look at it as an opportunity to verify 2.0 is indeed a girl & beg for a 3D picture of her face (since Tom didn't want to do this again for 2.0)!
At my appointment today, she did a fetal fibronectin test (click the link to read about it). This should tell us if baby will be here within 2 weeks - or not. My guess is NOT. The reason she ordered the test was because I have had a lot of contractions (though they are not painful, they are more the Braxton Hicks type). But, just to be on the safe side, she checked & she checked my cervix...which is very much closed completely & I'm not effaced at all. I should have the fetal fibronectin test results back tomorrow. I already know the result though - this baby is not coming early. I'm going to go into labor on May 6th (that's my personal guess), which is a week late. So Mom, maybe you will get lucky...and have your second grand daughter born on your birthday!
I did have the acupuncture treatment yesterday. I'm not sure what to say about it. I don't have anything quantifiable to show for it. The acupuncturist put a whopping 3 needles in me (one in the top of my right foot, one in my left lower leg, and on in my left wrist). I was expecting to be covered...not so. Then she used a tuning fork on my feet. Sounds like a lot of hocus pocus to me (I'm almost embarrassed to admit I went after that treatment). She recommends coming in every week until I deliver (what a shocker that is!). I don't know...I have a meeting with my fabulous doula on Sunday, I'll ask her a bit more about acupuncture, etc. at the meeting to get her thoughts.
I think at this point I'm just so desperate at this juncture to avoid the repeat c-section I'm willing to dive into alternative treatments (and a lot of stuff that I don't believe in) to increase my chances. I admit that I just bought a bottle of EPO (no, not the banned drug for athletes!), evening primrose oil. It is supposed to "soften the cervix", which in principle would then allow it to help dilate & efface. We'll see...I'm going to try it, but not until I hit 37 weeks (which is considered FULL term), we don't want any premature babies around these parts!
No comments:
Post a Comment